Thursday, September 21, 2006

Switzerland

Hands down, Switzerland was my favorite place in Europe. The mountains are so close and dramatic! It was absolutely beautiful and the one place I really want to return to. I will probably bore you with pictures from there, as I took over 200. But I'm sure you will enjoy the beauty of this place as much as I did.


I stayed in a little town by the name of Gimmelwald right in the Swiss Alps. When I reached my destination, it was foggy and had been raining. In this picture, you can see some of the cattle barns on the mountain side and the fog rising up from the valley floor.
The mountain in the background was on the other side of the valley. Within a few minutes of this picture, the fog had obscured the mountain completely.

This was the next morning. After a wonderful night's rest in the Mountain Hostel, I made an early start for Murren, the next village up the moutain. This is a great shot of the gondallas that went up and down the mountain.

I had ridden one the night before to get to Gimmelwald. It is, in fact, the only way to get to the village - at least for us lowely tourist! :) From the town in the valley, you have to go up a sheer cliff wall - thus the gondallas.

I really enjoyed the ride, both up and down. It gives you an incredible view!

These two are me (just in case you were confused! LOL) standing by the first good-sized stream I came across. It's called Wyenbach, connected to the nearest town. It was beautiful and one of many I was to see that day.

While hiking in the Alps, at least in this area, you are hardly ever outside of the earshot of a stream. They cover the moutainside with their cheerful babble.



Here is another cattle barn tucked into the mountainside. The view is so incredible!


This is a great picture of the valley seperating the two groups of mountains. The valleys are very narrow, making the sheer mountain faces seem very, very close. God's handywork is so very evident here! How anyone can walk these pathes and doubt there is a God is beyond me.

2 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures of my "home country"! Keep them coming!

 
At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Daughter,
Great pictures! Looks like it would be fun and your smile makes me think you were having a great time.
Love you bunches!!
Mom and Dad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home